The state of emergency was declared in two counties of California (United States), Saturday, July 6, after a shake much larger than that occurred Thursday, July 4
Sunday, July 7, 2019 ((rezonodwes. com)) – California Governor Gavin Newsom has declared a state of emergency in two southern counties of this state, at the epicenter of two earthquakes that struck the region on Thursday and Friday, the second of which is, with 7.1 of magnitude, the largest in 20 years. But, in the opinion of seismologists, it will not be the last. Up to 30,000 replicas could follow in the coming months.
In Kern County, on the outskirts of Ridgecrest, “the intensity of the tremor reached its highest level,” noted Mark Ghilarducci, director of emergency services for the state of California. A state of emergency has been declared in both Kern County and the neighboring county of San Bernardino.
Emergency Services in the Governor's Office Will Provide Assistance to San County Local Authorities Bernardino, he said in a statement.
The office will also ensure that enough federal agents can respond to disasters and deploy appropriate relief efforts, the governor said.
Southern California was shaken by two earthquakes, magnitude 6.4 on July 4 and 7.1 on July 5.
M. Newsom had already declared a state of emergency in Kern County on July 4.
Both earthquakes caused extensive structural damage to roads, water mains and gas, which triggered fires in the regions. No deaths or injuries have been reported.