Sunday, November 3, 2019 ((rezonodwes.com)) – The Member of Parliament for Bourassa-Sauvé, Paule Robitaille, paid a heartfelt tribute to a Haitian resident in his riding.
Well known in the Montréal-Nord borough, Paul Lamaute, a 105-year-old poet and educator, has also been very involved in the world of soccer for years.
Mr. Lamaute was born in Bois Verna, “the bourgeois district! In Port-au-Prince, Haiti, a few months before the start of the First World War, in 1914.
He can not remember how old he arrived in Quebec:
“It was after my travels in France, in Germany … “
He was, in turn, a journalist, writer, inspector for an electricity company, professor of social sciences, and finally a soccer coach.
All of East Montreal knows him for his commitment to the sport. He has trained thousands of young Quebec soccer players. On the wall of his room, photos of him with all the notables of Montreal-North. He was a soccer stalwart in Montreal.
Today, lying on his bed, almost blind, unable to walk, he recounts his youthful adventures, his dreams, recites poetry and advises. Mr. Lamaute is a great sage, a diviner
– My best memory ?! My wife ! She was French from Paris. A Delatour. She was a woman I loved and still love. She was good. A perfect woman. A woman of good. “
– How many children did you have with your wife?
– Wait until I remember … my oldest was a journalist. He made the mistake of dying at thirty …
– The secret of your longevity?
– “I have tried my whole life to fight against anything that is contrary to the good work of a beautiful soul to heaven. I love everyone, that's my secret. “
Here is the statement made by Mrs. Robitaille at the National Assembly of Quebec.